8 Week Online Parenting Course
‘River of Hope’
Parenting Program 1, 2023
‘River of Hope Online Group Parenting Program’
Time: 7.45pm – 9.30pm (1 ¾ hours)
8 Week Online Parenting Course Brief Outline
SESSION 1 & 2 Introduction and Session – Wellbeing – Self Care continuum
– Exploring Practical one-line responses that deescalate, or better still, end protests and arguments.
– The person is never the problem, the problem is the problem. How to become powerful and change my relationship with the problem.
SESSION 3 Who do I project my focus on-Me or my child(ren)?
– Having your children restore your energy levels
SESSION 4 What do I notice about my tensions, worry and anxiety?
Where do I project my tension?
– The power of using ‘I’ statements instead of ‘You’ statements.
SESSION 5 What do I notice in my body, breathing and emotions when I experience stress or anxiety.
– Sharing control within your value system helps your child with peer pressure and keeps the connection.
SESSION 6 Building connection and Resiliency with your child
– Dealing with Trauma, Triggers, Overwhelm and Chronic stress -Kids are professional mistake makers and are hard-wired to push the boundaries.
We teach people how to treat us- becoming strong in our core to deal with manipulation, intimidation, accusation and blame.
SESSION 7 Building connection through noticing sends the message – I hear you, I see you, I am with you. I am on your side.
– Building resiliency for our kids to own and solve their own problems.
SESSION 8 Fine-tune our kids to their inner voice and not just an outside voice
– Having kids complete chores without reminders and pay
What is a Parenting Course going to do for me?
- To have more fun and enjoy your kids
- To have kids who are less anxious and more resilient
- To have skills to deal with resistance, protest, complaining and defiance
- To live in a family where children are more respectful and responsible
- To have greater connection and meaningful conversations with your teenager
- To have respectful conversations
- To have greater connection, safety and respect amongst your children
- To take out some of the stresses of parenting
- Sibling rivalry, Rudeness, disrespect, Chaotic morning or evening routine, Meltdowns, physical outbursts, destroying possessions and property, Defiance, Anxiety, school refusal, bullying and Screen time disrespect and addiction.
Mission: To empower parents with hope by strengthening their true self: building ongoing capacity to be confident in every season.
Purpose: To give parents who feel stressed, overwhelmed and anxious, proven practical tools to become a confident and strong parent leader – creating opportunities for connection and fun with themselves and their children.
Why, what is the benefit?
Define self and values. Grow in self-efficacy.
Become strong with your true self -to be a loving and healthy parent leader.
Learn tools that empower you to be a strong loving leader
Increase capacity and resilience for you and your children
Increase opportunities for connection and fun with yourself and your children
For who: Parents struggling or dealing with:
- Feeling confused, lost or disempowered
- Shame, fear and anxiety
- Triggering from past experiences-childhood or other
- Just Surviving or living in chaos
- Lack of identity and confidence
- Reduced emotional or physical capacity
The metaphor for the course is “crossing the river-“ crossing the river – where we are currently, to becoming a strong parent leader.
This is for parents who are feeling anxious, stressed, and overwhelmed that would like to become strong parent leaders.
It will incorporate a foundational wellbeing perspective of empowering parents to be able to tolerate stress, their kid’s poor choices, and anxiety.
It will provide a safe reflective environment of looking at one’s narrative by exploring their strengths.
- Notice and explore their “worry” and gain understanding and tools of how they can manage it.
- Begin to create daily habits of well-being
- Understand if they are making their child the focus or themselves the project.
- Explore the concept that people are never the problem, the problem is the problem.
- Learn how to change a relationship with the problem?. (Self- awareness and setting limits)
- Have solid pathways to build connection and fun with themselves and their children
- Have skills to facilitate resilience and core self-confidence in their kids, whereby the kids are in tune to their inner voice and not just to the outside adult voice.
The course will:
- Provide parents with concrete practical tools to disengage and not escalate an argument. Train and support parents to develop empathy and love to keep the lines of communication open.
- Setting clear limits with ‘I’ statements.
- Give choices that work within parents’ value systems whilst sharing the control with their children.
- Build capacity, resilience and confidence in kids by giving kids tools to solve their own problems.
- Give children the value of being powerful contributors and a sense of belonging with chores(contributions)
- Their capacity and strength have increased significantly
- They have noticed where they have perpetuated the anxiety and worry cycle
- Have intentionally practised and cultivated wellbeing habits that have significantly reduced their anxiety, monitoring and policing.
- They have felt more powerful and equipped as they have focused on their responses and behaviour and not their child’s
- They have noticed more healthy connections and less arguments
- They have less stress, and more reasonable discussions with their children
- They have stronger healthier boundaries
Investment: $395 per family
For more information ring Christine on 0414 485 938
‘River of Hope’ – Online Parenting Course Outline
SESSION 1 – Well being – Self-Care continuum
- Exploring the concept of self-care and understanding beliefs of selfishness and selflessness will be the starting point to align parents with strengths to further discover their true self and values.
- The process will strengthen parents’ capacity to take better care of themselves, as they invest in their well-being and mental health.
- Consequently, parents will become more resilient as they respect themselves which will overflow into their parenting.
SESSION 2 – What problems exist and how do I change relationships with the problem
- Exploring concepts of our narrative. Looking at strengths. Looking at the concept- “the person is not the problem, the problem is the problem”.
- What problems exist and how do I change relationships with the problem. Externalising problems empowers a parent, or individual to change the relationship with the problem.
- The process of becoming strong and building capacity.
- Exploring Practical one-line responses that deescalate, or better still, end protests and arguments.
SESSION 3 – Who do I project my focus on-Me or my child(ren)?
- Understanding the ‘worry cycle’ that increases agitation, defensiveness and anxiety.
- What am I going to do to increase my resilience in making me the focus and not my child?
- Exploring calming strategies to tolerate distress in order to bring the best of ourselves to situations and circumstances. Further developments of calming strategies.
- Developing one-liner empathy statements that build connection whilst setting limits.
- Having your children restore your energy levels – ”Draining energy “ technique and other ideas for holding kids accountable for poor choices. The child’s poor choice is the ‘bad guy’, not the parent.
SESSION 4 – What do I notice about my tensions, worry and anxiety
- Where do I project my tension? In avoidance or on my child?
- What do I need to do more to tolerate my child’s anxiety, poor choices and being upset with me?
- Further development and exploration of well being and nurture.
- The power of using ‘I’ statements instead of ‘You’ statements.
- The parent focuses on their values.
SESSION 5 – What do I notice in my body, breathing and emotions when I experience stress or anxiety
- Am I self-aware when I am anxious or relationally offline?
- What calming strategies help me physically, emotionally and psychologically.
- Teaching parents the power of sharing control and giving choices to reduce unwinnable power struggles.
- Sharing control within your value system helps your child with peer pressure and keeps the connection.
SESSION 6 – Building connection and resiliency with your child
We teach people how to treat us- How to deal with intimidation, accusation, blame and manipulation
How to live from your true/ core self
How to understand and work with the unmet needs of the triggered self
Creating a plan and accessing resources to become self-aware and powerful
SESSION 7 – Building connection through noticing sends the message – I hear you, I see you, I am with you. I am on your side
- Building connection and resiliency with your child through noticing sends the message – I hear you, I see you, I am with you and I am on your side
- Building resiliency for our kids to own and solve their own problems.
- Working with a proven scaffold to facilitate pathways for resilience.
SESSION 8 – Fine tune your kids to their inner voice and not just an outside voice
- Strengthening an inner connection to their true authentic self – leads to Increased confidence and resilience.
- Building a sense of belonging that everyone is a powerful contributor in the family.
- Having kids complete chores without reminders and pay. Parents upskilling their children to become responsible in the family, and their future relationships as an employee and community member.
- 8 x 2 Hourly Weekly Sessions – 16 Hours
- Interactive Miro whiteboard brainstorming – access to this for the duration of the course
- Combination of google slides, video clips, interaction and personal stories
- Course leaders share personal experiences
- Practical tools and tips and exercises
- Fun practice time with group participants
- Follow up on previous session experiments
- Fun interactive community of parents
- Additional resources will be introduced as optional reading, listening
- The lessons are taught online in the comfort of your own home